Tuesday, September 10, 2013

She Quit ...

It nearly broke my heart ... but I finally gave in and let it happen.
For weeks she has been crying about piano, articulating in no uncertain terms, "I hate piano!" and so today after weeks and weeks of trying to entice her/win her over, I let her quit.  I feel like an epic failure.  I don't know if I did the right thing.  I sought advice and attempted every strategy I could think of.  There were 'treats' after lessons, practise in lieu of chores,  incorporating practise as part of our games (she got to be the piano teacher) and even $ 'earned' for playing ... In the end, I couldn't make her do something she obviously didn't want to do.
Some day, she may ask why I let her quit piano.  I will send her to this page ...

My Dearest Cadence:
Why did I let you quit piano?   Believe me when I tell you, it was the LAST thing I wanted to do and one of the hardest.  I've shed a lot of tears over it ... wondering ... did I do the right thing?  Please know that I tried my very best to motivate and encourage you.   I loved hearing you play.   I cried the day you played for your first audience (remember the school Talent Show in grade 1?).  You were brilliant!  Today I cried even more.  I fear that I failed you.  You had such talent and I so wished you had the drive to continue, but sadly I had to accept that your heart was just not in it.  Perhaps I did push you too hard.  You were only 6 ... you just wanted to play and be a kid and it was time I heard you.  Maybe you will pick it up again one day ... I sure hope so ... you were a natural my darling!  

Love, 
MOM

No comments: