Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Random Topics

25 Years!

Last night Cadence's Daddy was recognized by our union for 25 years of teaching ... I know, that gives HUGE perspective on our ages ... note: Sean married a younger woman ... a MUCH younger woman (girl really) LOL! We had a nice dinner with his colleagues and had the opportunity to see many familiar faces that we haven't seen in a long time ... AND I got to pull out the so-called 'Brag Book'! Guess who forgot the camera on this big occasion??? And I had even charged the battery and cleared the memory stick ... figures! Congratulations to Sean who continues to enjoy his job everyday (almost) and who does it so well ... Cadence and I are VERY proud of you!
And thank you to Auntie Marnie who was able to 'babysit' in a pinch ... see ... you could've managed a third!


Self Recognition

This morning, Cadence 'discovered' the brag book and began looking through it pointing out dadda and momma and then she pointed to herself and said, "ME"!!! Isn't she smart? Up until now, anytime she saw herself in a photo or in the mirror, she referred to herself as 'you' ... that's what we were telling her anyway. It was an exciting moment around here let me tell you! It's amazing how such seemingly simple things can become major 'events' in the life of toddler's parent!

Beginning Reading

Cadence has also been showing signs of beginning reading skills ... I kid you not! She turns the pages and points to pictures and 'reads' for meaning (such a teacher phrase!). On one page she says, 'baby night, night' ... and yes, there is a picture of a baby sleeping!  On another, she says, 'up,down' ... the actual phrase on that page is, 'upstairs and down' and finally, she 'reads' the last page of one book without error, 'Thank you, baby'.  Gifted I tell you ... LOL!!!  Seriously though, she really enjoys books; both reading them and being read to ... hope it continues!

Future Track Star

This morning Cadence and I went to bring daddy a coffee at the area track meet ... necessary, as it was quite chilly out there ... does the good lord not realize it is JUNE?!  Anyway, after the kids finished their long jump event, Cadence took several turns ... it was precious!  You should have seen her little butt wiggle as she sprinted down the rubber mat and then jumped into the sandpit ... absolutely hilarious!   Once again ... no camera!  Perhaps all the running and jumping she did could be credited to what is currently a record ... almost a 2 and a half hour nap!!!! Woohooo!!!

'Woman's Perogative'

So, is the perogative to change one's mind really in the female genes???  Once upon a time we introduced Cadence to 'puppy' as a comfort source while we transitioned her to go to sleep by herself.  She really took to it!  So much so, that I had Sean go and buy a second one to have on hand for the day that Cadence will be having naps at the sitters.  Unfortunately, she discovered puppy #2 and became attached to it as well.  Every night she needed both puppies and every morning when she awoke, she had to take both puppies with her.  About 3 weeks ago, she began rejecting 'puppy 1 and 2'!  Everytime I give one or both to her, she tosses them out of the crib!
What's up with that????  She's still attached to blanket (and I do have a second on hand for washing days and when she does finally need it at the sitters) ... we'll see how long that one lasts ...

Mommy's Next Getaway

This coming weekend, mommy is going north with the girls for a cottage getaway!  After last weekend I am totally pumped!  Although, I could go for 2 nights I'm not sure I will.  Firstly, Cadence has been pretty clingy since she's been sick and I really hate to stress her out too much.  Secondly, my BFF and Cadence's godmother is coming to town and I really would like to
spend some time with her ... she hasn't seen Cadence in quite a while either.  And finally, my mother arrives on Monday afternoon, early afternoon!  Now, I am able to manage (barely at times) keeping the house in relative good order BUT can you imagine what the state of the house will be like after 2 full days and nights under daddy's care????  Yeah, I can hear ya groaning from here.  So I've yet to make up my mind.  Along with those issues, Sean will be right in the middle of report cards ... an argument for a 1 night stay.  On the other hand, it is SUPPOSED to be HOT ... finally! ... an argument for 2 nights!  And there are groceries to do and patio furniture to set up ... Oh I just don't know, I think I'll prepare and plan for 2 and just see how I'm feeling ... guess I have to realize I can't do/have it all ... WHY NOT I ask you????!!!!

Well ... due to the fact that I haven't been carrying my camera around, there are few pictures to share ... I really must get a new case ... I'll put that on next week's list!  In any event here are a couple to keep you, the 'reader', coming back:

Trying to put shoes on (not the ones mommy picked out of course!):


A rejected and dejected puppy:

Miss Cadence attempting to nap!

1 comment:

PennyWolfe said...

Wild Child shirt...I need one of them!!!

Quite a post! I enjoyed reading it.

Lucy has ducks...a few the same as back ups but they ended up becoming 1 and 2 as well. Kids...go figure!!