Monday, April 14, 2008

In Need of Assertive Discipline ... someday!

Yes ... we are going to be in trouble ... Cadence has us both 'wrapped'! I realized, or perhaps have been in denial, until Sean stated, "She melts my heart. I'm going to be in trouble because I just want to give her everything!". Yep ... that's pretty much true ... we already do! Instead of saying 'no' when she helps herself to cookies from the cupboard, we say, 'okay, just one!' and then put the box out of reach. When she asks very politely for the potato chips, 'pees!!!!', we give her one (or more), but we draw the line at BBQ!!! And trying not to giggle at her naughtiness ... tres dificile!!!! Cadence hoisted herself up onto the coffee table, as she often does, but this weekend, she proceeded to stand up! Now, I draw the line at that!!! So ... I wag my index finger and tell her, 'no, no, no ... sit down please'. What does she do??? You veterans know EXACTLY what comes next ... she gives me the most gorgeous little grin and wags her finger back at ME!!! We actually did very well at not laughing out loud ... or grabbing the video camera (although, I'm secretly hoping she'll do it again so you can check her out ... I'm a glutton for punishment!).
On a positive note, she is beginning to announce her BMs ... we are just about ready for the potty parties ... yahoo!  I also noticed Cadence pick up a piece of paper off the floor (something she undoubtedly tore in the first place), go to the cupboard and actually put it in the garbage can!  She amazes the heck out of me.  And our 'little girl' took 'her brother', Winston for her first walk today!  She only lost grip of the leash once ... it's tricky for little hands with mittens!
Growing up ... so fast!!!  (BIG sigh here!)

4 comments:

Jeff and Amy said...

Good luck I have not advice,I know where you are coming from though, our little angel as been telling her doggie "no no" with her finger for sometime now. I think being older (41) verses when my boys were young (21) I am alot more laid back and hope I'm not sorry someday, but it's hard when they are so stinkin cute!!!!!

Linda said...

Our daughter likes to pick up dog fur off the floor. Then she has to take it outside and throw it off the deck.

We realized that the coffee table had to go our first week home. I don't know when it will make it upstairs again. Maybe when she starts school.

We pick our battles too. We've waited too long to get hung up on big stuff. At least they aren't robbing banks!

Deb and Sean said...

great blog!! keep up the good work.

Sean

PennyWolfe said...

I'm no help. I'm the dicipline queen. LOL!! Although, the littlest one continues to challenge me on that! Lucy has always been a rules girl. I don't allow behaviours within the house that I wouldn't allow out in public. And manners and politeness are HUGE! That way if they do sway when we are out somewhere, I know they can dazzle with manners and cuteness and all is forgiven!! LOL!!

Oh yeah, and we haven't had a coffee table in about four years. No room! So therefore no temptation. I just know if we had one Lisa would be all over it! LOL!!