Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hurdles and Hoorahs ...

First things first .... my favourite five from the trip





As you can well imagine, travelling with a toddler can be a little difficult ... let me share some of my hurdles with you ...
1)  Luggage and Carry-ons
Imagine me with 2 suitcases, a large carry on bag, a diaper bag, a heavy, cumbersome but cool stroller, DVD player in a case AND one almost 16 month old ... tricky ... thank goodness for my travelling companions!
2)  The Room
Not the most luxurious, by far.  One king size bed, a concrete floor and a child who 'spins' in her sleep.  After getting no sleep the first night ... I was too stressed Cadence would fall off the bed, despite all the barriers I tried to put up ... a crib became available.
3)  Unsafe Water
At least 3 times a day, I had to run water through the coffee maker to sterilize the sippy cups for milk and 'juice'.
4)  No Fear!
Cadence has absolutely no fear of the water ... pool or ocean ... she is drawn to it.  The life jacket was a battle she won on this trip, but come summer ... it WILL be a rule!
5)  My Brute Strength
So, the humidity caused the door to stick ... I shoved against it with my hip ... a little harder than I realized ... completely shattered the inner door frame ... oops!
6)  All Inclusive
By the third day, most of what I brought no longer fit!
7)  Car Trouble
Back at the airport my car would not start and was losing power on our drive home ... I truly expected we were going to be stranded on the highway.  Did I mention this was at two in the morning?  I was so stressed about it, I got lost trying to get out of the airport ... it was not a great way to end the trip ... BUT, it didn't take away from the hoorahs!

Now for the flip side ...

1)  The Best Roomate
Undoubtedly, Cadence was an amazing little traveller ... she slept well, ate well, okay so it was fries, hotdogs and watermelon everyday, I won't win any parenting awards there ... but she was happy and healthy and it was only 4 days!
2)  The Weather
Yup ... 28 and sunny every day!  What more is there to say about that!
3)  My Travel Companions
Maddie and Martha were awesome, go with the flow, happy travellers too!
4)  All Inclusive
So maybe I gained weight ... must mean I enjoyed the food and drink ... no?!
5)  Great Locations
We had 'reserved' spots for the entire day at both the beach and the pool!
6)  White Sand
Punta Cana has the most amazing beaches ... it was a pleasure to watch Cadence run along the beach, sit and giggle as the waves washed upon her, build and destroy sand 'castles and even manage a good nap oceanside!
7)  Colour
Despite our short stay and my role as a watchful parent, I did manage a fairly good tan ... not my usual, but I think it's a safe one!
8)  The Watch
Martha and I both spied a great looking watch on a beautiful Parisian woman and being the friendly Canadians we are, shared that compliment with her. Much to Martha's dismay ... I ended up with the watch ... it's GORGEOUS!

Truly it was a great few days ... Cadence had a ball, ran free, danced the day and night away and was a good girl!  Would I do it again? ... most likely ... but next time we'll make sure we invite Dadda!  We did miss him ... plus we needed a photographer! 

No comments: