Sunday, March 2, 2008

Six Months ... (now with photos!)

It was on this day 6 months ago, that Cadence physically entered our lives in a conference room in Chongqing City.  It was a very calm and surreal event that changed our lives for ever!  
I went back to the September 2nd post to relive 'the moment' and realized how very little I wrote about it.  Given the importance of the day, I owe Cadence the full 'play by play' account.

At 3:00 all of us families met in the lobby to organize the gifts we were presenting to the orphanage and the nannies.  I made a point of interviewing each family prior to meeting their child ... someday, I'll get around to transferring those clips onto my laptop and blog ... we talked about our mental states, our nerves and fears.  At 3:30 we went to the conference room on the 3rd floor to meet with Mike and Julie, our guides, to complete the 'paperworks' prior to the babies' arrival.  As soon as we got there Mike announced that the babies were in the hotel and so naturally, all of us anxious parents got to work quickly on the forms ... we wanted to see our babies ASAP.  Two minutes later Mike again told us the babies were here and then I believe Hoda said it too and before we could realize what was happening, the babies, OUR baby, was in the room!  There was a mad scramble for the cameras and video recorders ... it was mayhem!
Cadence was the third baby ... I remember going over and saying hi and talking to her for a couple of minutes ... she smiled right away ... and I didn't even cry.  Then I asked, "Can I hold her?" ... wasn't sure if I had to finish the paperwork first ... seriously!  The nanny handed her over to me, then clapped his hands, she grunted a bit and he said, "momma" to Cadence and then walked away.  That was it!  That was 'the ceremony'.  Sean and I took turns holding her, taking pictures with her, introducing her to a couple of toys and visiting the other babies.  After about 15 or 20 minutes, Mike and Julie instructed one parent to take the baby back to the room to change and feed her and the other to remain behind and complete the paperwork.  Not surprisingly, I went back to the room.  Miss Cadence was well trained at getting her diaper changed.  The second I slipped her pants off, she lifted up her chunky little legs until the diaper change was complete ... hmmm, my how things have changed in 6 months!  She sucked back her bottle like a trooper and was just a calm, happy, amazing baby ... I couldn't wait for Sean to get back to us so ... I took Cadence back to the conference room to see her daddy.  I was happy not to be the only mommy who had that idea!  The rest is history!!!

Now, six months later we have a bright, engaging, independent, active toddler, who keeps us on our toes.  She is SMART!  The heavy metal bar stool that once prevented Cadence from getting into the 'nack' cupboard no longer works ... she is able to muster up the strength to slide it away and help herself to just about anything in there.  My master of distraction tactics are no longer working either.  Weeks ago, I could redirect her attention towards things I could accept her getting into ... the tupperware, tea towels ... whatever, but she doesn't fall for that anymore and holds her ground ... we are about to enter a very difficult stage I'm afraid!  She also HATES us helping her ... doesn't want us to assist her down the stairs or unzipper her sweatshirts ... she's only 15 months old for goodness sake!  The word 'NO' is about to become the new buzz word in our household and I am afraid ... very afraid!

Please note ... photos will be added tomorrow ... I'm still trying to catch up on sleep!


Here are the before and after shots:






Yes, that is mommy's shoe she is holding ... and notice the mouth ... finally her newest word ... SHOE!!! That's my girl!

2 comments:

geminirn said...

Awwww!!!!!Thanks for sharing,she just keeps getting even more beautiful each day!!

Gina (Caleeo) said...

Great post - Love reading about your wonderful time meeting your sweet girl! Any yes, the "fun" is certainly underway at our house too!