Sunday, January 21, 2007

A Labour of Love


So, I ventured off to the paint store yesterday with my bag of 'inspirations' and ideas in hand. The colour consultant was very
impressed with my planning and proceeded to put together the colour selections. It was all very exciting!!!! We decided that
it would be cool to do the 'distressed look' with a pink undertone (like the chandelier). And then she thought doing the inside of the armoire in green would be a great idea. I concurred ... headed to the checkout ... picked up an assortment of paint brushes ... one for each colour and off I went ... feeling completely elated!!!!! Until I got home and realized the vast amount of work this 'project' was going to involve!!! Have I shared my utter disdain for painting yet? I'm not kidding ... I HATE painting ... period! In fact, in the last few years, Sean and I have hired others to paint for us ... no matter what the cost! What was I thinking in that paint store?! So ... now, not only do I have to paint each piece of furniture ... I have to paint each piece THREE times! That's right ... 3! First I need to put on a coat of pink (pink blossom to be exact), followed by 2 coats of 'sand dollar' (one of a 100 different shades of white). And no latex paint for me .... oh no, it's OIL baby! And I haven't even begun to THINK about the sanding that has to occur with the crib and dresser! Did I say I would be complete by the end of February??? That will be a miracle! I did manage to come home and get the green slapped on inside the armoire ... just finished the second coat this morning ... not really sure how I'm liking it ... which will be a whole other story! My best intentions were to get the pink on the outside this morning as well BUT ... I'm thinking it would be best, once I open the can, to paint all the pieces at one time (this will save on buying a brush each and every time I paint a piece. So, that means, I will need to get the crib put together and sanded as well as purchase a dresser and kid's table and chair set. I'm thinking I'll head to IKEA next week and just buy new, unfinished wood products (with the sole purpose of eliminating the 'sanding' step). Putting this room together will truly be a labour of love ... with an emphasis on the LABOUR ... hmmmm, guess I'll experience some 'labour pains' after all!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the end products,i'm sure it will be worth ALL that hard labour in the end,i don't envy you as far as the OIL BASE paint is concerned(that is a pain in thr a.. to work with)however is much more durable in the end.
Have fun!!!!
dianne
group 253

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are ambitious!! I love the green and I can't wait to see how the finished product is going to look. I would have never thought of painting the inside one colour and the outside different. You should hire Dianne (comment #1) She LOVES to paint. You should see pictures of her nursury. WOW! Love reading the posts!!!