Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Quest for a Car Seat



Spent all of 15 minutes looking at car seats at the Toys 'R Us today .... way too many choices and options! Sean and I know we want 'the best' in terms of safety and comfort but ........ it has to match the car interior too! I am also waiting for the one I want to go on sale! Now, I did find this adorable one that had a denim look with pretty flowers .... I'll be checking the catalogue and finding out the stats and ratings .... oh, but it was sooooo cute! Any thoughts on the subject .... brands, options you like, dislike? Should I be waiting for the referral in terms of having a better indication of possible age/weight? I'm figuring there just might be enough of a 'return window' to go ahead with the 'scheduled' purchase soon. Anyone???????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Car seat was a big disappointment for me. I wasn't caught up in a lot of buying stuff for baby as we waited for Lucy. David was in charge of the room, the furniture we bought I didn't really want but the furniture we wanted we couldn't afford. (The guy quoted us a price and we ordered it and when we got home he realized he quoted us cost and wanted to charge us 110% more.) But the car seat was something I found and wanted. I'm a big NASCAR fan and Simpson Racing Seats makes a car seat. That was the car seat for our baby girl. Unfortunately it was not CSA certified and couldn't be sold in Canada. We ended up getting an Eddie Bauer seat (two actually - one for my car and one for David's)that we were happy with. It is one that goes upto 80lbs so it becomes a booster seat and uses the regular seat belts as the kids get bigger and it starts out as a baby seat that can be installed backwards. We never had it set up that way. Good luck in your quest.

~Kristen said...

I'll be buying a Britax. I've done my homework.. researched everyone on the market and they have the highest ratings out there. And they do have one (the Marathon) that works up to 65lbs. It's pricey.. but that is not something I will skimp on.

The Baby Bargains book, by Denise & Alan Fields,(as seen on Oprah) has been a wonderful resource in deciding on products. It rates literally everything from bottles and bibs to furniture and car seats. It has very extensive reviews and information.

Darrel and Karen said...

We went with the Eddie Bauer too, I can't say we did a whole lot of research... it fit one of our major criteria... it was beige and with a Golden Retreiver in the family this becomes a criteria for many of our purchase. We haven't gotten to try it out yet, we can't do that until May.

Sue said...

Hi, came across your blog on the Rumor Queen's list of blogs. We have the Britax Marathon (our 4 year old is still in it; 31# and 39") and a Britax Roundabout (our 2 year old; 24# and 32"). We love them both. We bought the Roundabout, which is cheaper, for dd #2 since she will probably max out for height before the weight. The Marathon does have a taller back to it and I think we'll be using it til our dd#1 is 5. We like them both and feel that they are the tops for safety.

Best of luck buying for Cadence and happy referral day (sometime soon!!)