Monday, September 10, 2007

Houston ... we have a few problems!

Well, I seem to be able to document and post, but photos are a whole other ball of wax! On top of that, I can't check to proof read what I've written OR read your comments, which I really enjoy doing during nap times! So, I will continue to share our journey, but you will have to be patient about 'seeing' it and if there is anything you really want to share, please do so through hotmail or first class as I check it daily!~
Monday, September 10th

We had to rouse the princess this morning as we had an early morning doctor appointment. Cadence did not like being stripped down to be weighed or measured ... she wailed ... and was THE only baby in our group to do so, which was unusual ... I don't think anyone has heard her cry yet! On the positive side, she wanted to be comforted and held by her mommy, which means bonding and attachment are happening for her. She is basically at the 15th percentile for height and weight and although that doesn't sound great, the girls do catch up in time. Again on a positive note, she is the biggest baby of our group ... two of the poor little souls, didn't even make it on the chart, but I have no doubt they will be flourishing in no time given all the love, attention, support and nutrition they are receiving! The doctor, did notice she had a slight infection in her ear and suggested we give her dimetapp 3x a day ... no problem! .... Actually, it was a problem as that was THE ONLY drug we didn't bring! Thankfully, Lisa and Geoff were able to spare some.
Once we returned from the clinic, I gave Cadence a bit of cereal which she wasn't too keen to eat, a bottle, and left Sean in charge as I headed to the famous 'Silk Alley Market'! OH.MY.GOD!!!!!! This place is a paradise! It was sooooo overwhelming and there was so little accomplished in a 2 hour period! The salespeople are extremely AGGRESSIVE and the bartering system is STRESSFUL ... especially for an amateur such as myself! We had a good time haggling and scored a couple of deals, but then ... for the last half hour, Hoda and I separated, as I was hot on the trail for a studded skull bag. I wanted that AND a Prada from the same place thinking I could score a real deal ..... NOT!!!! I literally had 2 girls pulling me by the arm into their kiosk and I was not leaving without shelling out a few hundred Yuan. These ladies knew how to get their price ... I was ready to pay ANYTHING to escape (and for the skull bag!). In the end, I got what I wanted for a little more than I bargained for ... oh, well, all in a day's work. My best deal of the day, however, ended up in a bust! I talked a girl into these cool boots for $100 Yuan (about $15 US), but she didn't have them in black so I walked away ... now I'm having remorse ... shoulda got the blue for that price ... there may be a return trip on Wednesday!
Upon my return ... Nancy ... Sean had completed not one but TWO diaper changes ... and yes ... even a poopy one! He had a great time with his girl! I think he would have rather battled the diaper than the market any day! Unfortunately, shortly thereafter, I had to do 4 changes ... things took a little turn for the worse ... I'm thinking we are going to cut out the apple juice, as this has been the newest addition to Cadence's diet. I'll let you know how that goes ... 'cause I know you're real interested in those 'matters'!
The three of us took a stroll through the streets of Beijing and then met the group for dinner in the bar lounge. Cadence had her evening bath and bottle and is now happily asleep! AND, I might add, has not had a runny nose since the first dose of Dimmetap! This is the first night Sean and I have outlasted this energizer bunny! I will say this ... the girl knows what she wants and doesn't give up until she gets it ... sound like anyone you know???? Her and I will be having a chat when we get home and setting things straight! Really, she is SOMETHING ELSE!
Okay, tomorrow is a BIG day ... Jade factory, The Great Wall and a lunch ... we have a full day booked! But each day brings us closer to home and for that we are thankful! Tune in tomorrow for more daily anecdotes ... photos to be added when I can figure it out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you are having blogger problems over there! I am looking forward to seeing pictures but I am enjoying your updates!

~Kristen said...

Glad to see you were able to get into blogger... I was waiting patiently!! hehe!! Thanks for the updates I can't wait to see your pics from Beijing.

Have fun and safe travels.. can't wait to see that you are home.

geminirn said...

Can't wait to see more photos,however in the mean time enjoying the updates!!!