Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Incredible ... Too bad I'm a wuss!

Hey!
Still not sure if you are able to read these posts, but I'll continue to blabber away in any case!
First of all, for those interested, the 'ban' on the apple juice seemed to be a success ... for most of the day.
Our day, began like all others ... hectic and chaotic ... packing bags with 'crap' one might need for a baby for an entire day of sight seeing. And as luck would have it, as we boarded the bus, I realized I had left MY sunglasses back in the room. Luckily
we had a peddlar, offering Olympic wares and everyone was 'shopping' from the bus, so Sean had time to run up to the room and retrieve them!
Cadence is NOT a good traveller ... basically due to the fact that she HATES to sit still for ANY period of time. This was a problem given the 2 hour bus ride! As luck would have it, she fell asleep about half way into the drive ... god forbid the 12 hour plane ride, not to mention the ride home in the car with the 5 point harness (more on that later!). Our first stop was the jade factory ... shopping, basically! And of course I did not disappoint ... there were purchases made! I've become known among my group for my 'interest' in the 'shops'.
From there we travelled straight to the Great Wall of China! I cannot begin to describe it to you ... it is unbelievable, magnificent and a true sight to behold! I have seen it from Google Earth, but nothing could prepare me for it up close and personal! Well, today I decided I wanted a turn with Cadence in the Snugli for the climb. My friends ... here is where the day fell apart! I cannot call myself a hero ... I am not even worthy of the t'shirt ... I was a complete coward!!!! You have no idea of the steepness and treachery of these steps ... they are not for the meek! I went up the first tiny level and began the first big climb ... knowing I would only make it to the first tower! Well, I MAYBE got 1/4 of the way there ... as soon as I turned around to have a look, I realized the great difficuly in getting down! I basically went down on my butt, step by step ... with Cadence strapped to me! Once again, I became a tourist attraction of my own! I am sad to admit it, but it is the truth ... however, IF anyone seeks an adventure ... this is for YOU!
Once, the OTHERS completed their climb we headed out for a beautiful Chinese lunch and then stopped through the Olympic Village which is heavily under construction.
Back at the hotel, our girl was finally able to unleash some energy ... and then we strapped her in the stroller and took her to the bar lounge for a white wine and some chicken satay! She's a party girl alright!
She is now asleep ... whew! This girl is high energy ... high maintenance ... they definitely got the combination down right when they matched her with us! Sean makes me laugh ... he loves her spunk ... me, I'm a tad concerned ... I'll be the one at
home all day! But, we have to admit at the moment we are indulging her in every way. Let's face it ... she's been through a lot ... abandoned at birth, life in an orphanage for the first 2 months of life, then moved into foster care ... and the night before she was placed in our arms, she was sent back to the orphanage for the night (where she cried ... a lot, they said!). So for now, we are just trying to ensure she understands we are there for her and will be ... always! The behaviour modification stuff ... that can wait until we get home! But oh, will you love her ... !!!
Tomorrow, we are doing a rick shaw tour of Beijing in the morning ... seeing a typical Chinese style home, then heading to the market again for the afternoon (Sean too ... oh my!), followed by a Peking Duck dinner with the group! After that I'll be packing up and getting ready for the trip home!
We arrive around 6:15 pm (prior to customs and immigration and all that!). Please .. NO photos of me ... I am HIDEOUS these days ...

5 comments:

Kim said...

Yes we can read the post...
Sounds like you all are having an amazing time..
Have fun.
Kim

Anonymous said...

Loving to hear all about your adventures. Shame about the photos, but you can post those when you get back. What is your return date to Canada? I bet you can't wait to start your new family ife at home!
Love,
Caroline

geminirn said...

WOW!!!!!SOUNDS LIKE QUITE THE GREAT WALL ADVENTURE!!!!LOVE TO SEE PHOTOS OF THAT!!!!LOL!

Can't wait to hear all about tomorrows adventures!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing the hutong tomorrow. You'll love that!!

Love the adventures!!

~Kristen said...

Just emailed ya!!